COMPANY

Company Profile

■Company Name Monma Tansuten Co., Ltd.
(Sendai tansu denshoukan)
■Headquarters Post code: 984-0061
143 Minamikajimachi Wakabayashi-ku Sendai-shi (Midway up the hill)→ Map
TEL:+81-22-222-7083
FAX:+81-22-222-1023
■Representatives Representative Director Tomoko Monma
Managing director Kazuhiro Monma
■Year of establishment 1872

History

1872 Tamisaburo Monma, one of the lowest ranking samurai of the domain who made tansu as a side job founds the company
1905 In opportune time with Tamizo succeeding, the second successor Tamiji produces the “Yarou tansu” with fittings by metal fitting master Matsuemon Kikuchi
1928 On the occasion of an imperial visit by the Emperor Showa, two tansu were presented to him by Miyagi prefecture

The current showroom that is also designated as a Registered Tangible Cultural Property is built by the third successor Tamizo

At the First Tohoku Industrial Exposition awarded the Prime Minister’s Award.
1942 Regulations placed on materials become harsher, Japanese lacquer also becomes classified under regulated materials so the Minister of Commerce and Industry at the time, Nobusuke Ishi was met and a plea made for the permitted use of lacquer in order to make Sendai tansu
1945 End of the war. “Camp Sendai” is made in the Kawauchi region for occupying troops. Commissioned to make DH furniture of the military officer’s residence, the skill and technique that produce high quality become a reputation among American military officers. Sendai tansu manufacturing resumes
1951 At the 12th Kougeishidousho (Instructional venue for craft) receives official recommendation for craft technicians of excellence
1957 In recognition of contributions made to the continuation and succession of Sendai tansu techniques and skills, the third successor Tamizo receives the Medal with Yellow ribbon, Medal of Honor.
1959 On the occasion of Empress Michiko’s marriage Miyagi prefecture presents to her the “Nekoashi-ryobiraki” (Cat legs double door)

“Small Tansu” is developed by third successor Tamizo and Genjiro Aoyagi, a Edo-sashimono craftsman and former head of the workshop

In recognition of contributions made to the continuation and succession of Sendai tansu techniques and skills, the third successor Tamizo receives the Medal with Blue ribbon, Medal of Honor.
1965 Used as the filming location for Kinoshita Keisuke Theatre’s “Hutari no hoshi” (starring Chitose Kobayashi)
1966 Third successor Tamizo receives The Order of the Sacred Treasure, Gold and Silver Rays (then categorized under the name ‘5th class’)
1971 Showroom renovated
1976 “Small tansu za teiban” (Small tansu the regular) series developed
1995 Sendai tansu denshoukan opens to set up a showroom that allows for a search through history linking “past, present and future”
2002 Store/workshop receives the designation as Registered Tangible Cultural Property
2011 Ichi-ban, “Nekoashi-ryobiraki” (Cat legs double door) are awarded the Good Design Award
COMPANY